Taylor Alison Swift (born December 13, 1989) is an American singer and songwriter. She is the youngest songwriter ever hired by the Sony and after “Our Song” she became the youngest person to single-handedly write and perform a number one song on the country chart. She is known widely for her country genre but lately, Taylor has been experimenting with country pop, pop and pop rock too.
Taylor is an inspirational singer, and extremely popular idol. She is a philanthropist (she actively supports arts education, children’s literacy, natural disaster relief, LGBT anti-discrimination efforts, and charities for sick children and regularly donates to charity) and the ideal role models for our generation. She has never been caught doing anything wrong or illegal, like wearing see-through tops, getting drunk, shooting provocative scenes and such.
She usually writes her own songs, and knows how to play the guitar. Her songs are mostly narrative, telling something about her life and personal experiences.
On 12 March this year, Taylor Swift has been named RIAA’s (Recording Industry Association of America) top selling Digital Singles Artist! Not only that, but reports have it that Taylor Swift Made More Than Anne Hathaway & Brad Pitt Combined Last Year! Forbes estimates that she is worth over $165 million. According to Wikipedia, Swift has been the recipient of seven Grammy Awards, eleven American Music Awards, seven Country Music Association Awards and six Academy of Country Music Awards. As a songwriter, she has been honored by the Nashville Songwriters Association and the Songwriters Hall of Fame.
Taylor has released four albums to date which are Taylor Swift (2006), Fearless (2008), Speak Now (2010), and Red (2012) with a combined sale of 22 million albums worldwide and more than 55 million digital sales. Her latest music video, 22, is scheduled for release on 13 March. On the same day, her most awaited & highly anticipated Red tour will commence.
Taylor has released more than 205 singles, and most of her songs have been widely acclaimed and gained much recognition. Though all her songs earn equal appraisal, some are just better than the rest. Here’s a list of her top songs.
1. Red : The song debuted at number six on the US Billboard 100, at number two on the Hot Digital Songs chart and at number two on the Hot Country Songs chart. It is a blend of country pop and pop rock written by Swift herself. Red is one of her solemn and really beautiful songs with a soft yet powerful music. The beat is quite catchy, and Taylor uses a soft melodious tone for this song. It makes one want to flow with the tune of the song and float away. Try listening to it once, and it’s guaranteed you’ll be totally hooked.
2. You Belong With Me : The song debuted at number 2 on pop and at number 1 at country songs chart. This song is a country pop song and received nominations for the Grammy Awards for Song of the Year, Record of the Year, and Best Female Pop Vocal Performance. The song is really upbeat especially the chorus part.
3. Back to December : Again, this song was written by Taylor herself, and is of the country pop genre. It debuted at number six on the United States Billboard Hot 100, at number seven in Canada and also peaked at number three on the Billboard Hot Country Songs. Another one of her soft songs like Red, the music is gentle and calming but the chorus is bit upbeat and the song is really deep and touching.
4. Mine : It is a country pop song written by Taylor herself. It peaked at number three on the US Billboard Hot 100. It has an extremely catchy chorus, and the music is quite danceable with a fast tempo. It’s a must-listen song and showcases Taylor at her best.
5. I Knew You Were Trouble : It is one of Taylor’s most pop song of all time and comes under the popstep (blend of pop and dubstep) genre. The single has been certified Triple platinum by the RIAA. It debuted at number three on the Billboard Hot 100. It has a moderately fast tempo and is quite a departure from Swift’s other songs. Even the music is new and refreshing but really catchy and tends to get stuck in your head.
6. The Story of Us : Written by Taylor, this is another of her refreshing songs, where she has experimented with new grounds. This song is extremely powerful throughout, with a fast tempo, and is upbeat. It’s pop rock, and Taylor has done justice to this song with her strong vocals. Quite danceable and sing-able music with a really great tune. The best is the chorus, which really stands out a lot. It’s one song which you’ll find yourself repeatedly playing and extremely hard to get out of your system.