Windows 8 comes bundled with lots of software, but every PC user knows that those are not enough. Even for basic tasks like playing music or creating a document, the basic Windows Media Player & the Word Pad are not sufficient. Also, everyone loves to have their PCs capable of the best of the very best. As such, some additional software are required to get the best out of your PC, or to get your work done effortlessly.
Software comes in different varieties and for different purposes. Some are free, some come at a price; some are targeted for novices, others for experts. Here, I have listed a few software’s which are equally useful for fresh users as well as those requiring advanced facilities. Best of all, they are free and chosen wisely after years of experimenting.
Let’s start with media players.
1. VLC: It is the greatest player to ever have been created. It can play any video file, whether it’s corrupted or its downloading is still in progress. It also boasts an unmatched compatibility to various audio/video formats. With a simple interface, it’s capable of snapping a frame, zooming, fast or slow speed playbacks, and equalizing the audio. It also has its own set of codecs.
2. Zoom Player (Free edition): Another great player which is not as widely known as VLC. One of its best features is the audio mode, which allows the playback of video files as audio files. Other, than that, it is also compatible with a wide range of formats.
1. Avast Anti Virus (Free edition): One of the best free antivirus out there with an extremely high rate of detection and very has a very light footprint; it’s really fast yet it is low on resources.
2. Avira Anti Virus (Free edition): Another great option. It’s also quite a viable option. There’s just a slight problem with its persistent ads, but that can be harmless.
Office Productivity Software Suite:
1. OpenOffice: One of the best alternatives out there for Microsoft Office. It includes everything. Just like MS Office, it contains a word processor (Writer), a spreadsheet (Calc), a presentation application (Impress), a drawing application (Draw), a formula editor (Math), and a database management application (Base).
2. Kingsoft Office Suite Free: Writer – Another efficient office suite. Contains Writer (word processor), Presentation (Multimedia presentations creator) & Spreadsheets ( tool for data processing and analysis). One of its awesome features is the multiple tabbed feature. It also has Office to PDF converter, which comes in quite handy.
1. Malwarebytes’ Anti-Malware: It’s free version is easy-to-use, simple, and very effective. Over all, it’s an impressive anti-malware application.
2. IObit Malware Fighter: It is a more advanced malware & spyware removal utility. The free version has some pretty useful features.
1. Defraggler: Fragmenting the hard drives is a good way to keep up the performance of your PC. One of the best tools to so is Defraggler (from the guys who created CCleaner).
2. Recuva: It’s extremely popular software which helps in recovering lost or deleted data. It’s very effective in restoring deleted files. A must have especially for those who tend to delete accidently a lot.
3. Revo Uninstaller Free: Sometimes some software’s refuse to install…Period. Revo comes into action here. It’s a powerful tool capable of deleting any stubborn application.
4. CCleaner: Although it may not have as many features as some of the other similar software’s it’s still the most popular choice for those requiring a simple and efficient software to delete junk files.
1. Google Chrome: This is a no-brainer. It’s the fastest browser out there. It also has support for extensions.
2. Firefox: The lightest browser around, with more than thousands of add-ons & extensions thereby making it the most customizable browser out there.
1. Skype: Whether its text based chatting you require or audio chatting, this software has it all. To top it off, it allows high quality video calling using VoIP. It provides state of the art facilities when it comes to chatting. Texting or communicating.
2. Trillian Astra: It’s another popular multi-protocol instant messaging application. Whether you have a yahoo account, or Hotmail, this software provides one-stop access to all your account.
1. Google Picasa: It’s a powerful photo manager software from Google, yet is easy to handle. It boasts a one-click photo retouching features coupled with easy online photo sharing.
2. Inkscape: It’s a vector graphics editor like Adobe Illustrator. It provides extreme capabilities to users to allow vector manipulation or creation.