Bugs Ate Eyeballs Of The Girl Who Did Not Remove Contact Lenses For 6 Months

The title sounds so horrid that it can shake anyone from within. Now you may be wondering what connection does a bug have with contact lens? All your curiosity will be satiated in our article.

The tragedy happened with a 23 year old Taiwanese girl Lian Kao who apparently has become blind after the incident. She was having weak eyesight and as a result, she was wearing contact lenses. The only mistake she committed was that she did not remove those lenses for a period of 6 months. This resulted in the production of microscopic bug in between cornea and the lens, thereby eating up the upper layer of the eye.

This situation was totally preventable and she was an adult enough to know that she had to remove contact lenses at least once every hours. Lian Kao sported a pair of disposable contact lenses and she kept them on for 6 months on the trot. She forgot that she had to remove those lenses as keeping them on would cause damage to her eyes.

Bugs Ate Eyeballs Of The Girl Who Did Not Remove Contact Lenses For 6 Months

The news has shook people from all around the globe and it would inspire people to take extra care when it comes to contact lenses. Microscopic bugs can grow when the lens is dirty and can surface at the eye ball. The bug literally ate the surface of the girl’s eyeballs. It was an act of irresponsibility as the girl never bothered to remove the lenses for a period that extended to 6 months.

Lenses require regular cleaning regime and if it is not met, they invite bugs to grow. Whenever people go for swimming or a shower, it is necessary to remove the lenses. Each night you sleep, the lenses are required to be removed as well. It should not be worn for more than 8 hours a day. The Taiwanese girl did not follow such instructions and had to compromise with her eyes. The doctors were pinged when the girl could not see properly and they were surprised enough to see the formation of amoeba on the surface of the eye and that they had eaten away the surface of the eyeball of the girl.

According to the statement of Wu Jian-liang, the director of Ophthalmology at Taipei’s Wan Fang Hospital:

“Contact lens wearers are a high-risk group that can easily be exposed to eye diseases. A shortage of oxygen can destroy the surface of the epithelial tissue, creating tiny wounds into which the bacteria can easily infect, spreading to the rest of the eye and providing a perfect breeding ground. The girl should have thrown the contact lenses away after a month but instead she overused them and has now permanently damaged her corneas.”

He stated that the case of the girl will inform the others about the harmful causes of wearing the contact lenses for an extended period of time and it will spread awareness among the people. Lian Kao is now diagnosed with acanthamoeba keratitis, which is a condition that is frequented in the months of summer.

Bugs formation on the lenses is not a common phenomenon but it has been seen in several cases. Most of the victims are not aware of their state until they start feeling the pain in their eyes. When they feel such pain, it is apparently the peak stage of the problem. The symptoms of this problem are red, irritated eyes along with many other symptoms. In case of Lian Kao, it is too late to realize the problem and she has to compromise with her eyes therefore.

Leave a Reply