20 Amazing Facts That You Didn’t Know About Your Cat
All of us love cats, don’t we? And kittens are even cuter. It’s like cuteness over dose with kittens. With their soft purring and bright eyes, they just seem to make you melt every time you look at them. Lots of us are cat lovers. We take pride in knowing anything & everything about them, especially if it’s our pet. But I’m sure you don’t know all there is to your favorite feline. Think I’m wrong? Well, read on and see how much you really know:
1. Cats have five front paws. But, there are only four back paws, unless your cat is polydactyl (having extra toes). Next time, watch your cat’s paw prints and check whether your cat is polydactyl or not.
2. The ancient Egyptians believed that cats had magical powers. They believed cats protected their homes and children from danger & such they kept a cat for protection. If your cat had been born in ancient Egypt, it would have been worshipped and perhaps mummified after death. So, mummies are not only ancient kings but cats too!
3. The tongue is divided into different parts, where each part is responsible for differentiating specific tastes. Cats cannot taste sweet things. So don’t bother trying to sweeten your cats milk next time, or letting your cat treat on a leftover cake.
4. Do you know how old your cat really is? If your cat is 3, your cat is 21 in human years. If your cat is 8, your cat is 40 in human years and if 14, then your cat is 70 in human years.
5. Ever noticed the color of your kitten’s eye? Yellow? Green? Well, the color of a kitten’s eyes will change as it grows older, so it’s ok to be confused.
6. Notice the size of your cat’s pupil? In bright light, they are like slits, while in dim light, they are wide and open. Cats need 1/6th the amount of light that humans do to see. Their night vision is amazing! They are able to see so well because their eyes don’t absorb light much, but instead reflect them.
7. Cat’s whiskers are not the same as mustache. Cats use their whiskers in the dark or while hunting to help them locate objects or prey. They also help them gauge small openings. But, contrary to popular belief, their whiskers do grow back if cut off, but this might handicap their effectiveness in the dark.
8. Cat’s nails are retractable & as such don’t get stuck on the carpet or anything else accidently. Cat’s claws, like any other felines, are important factors in hunting, self-defense, balancing & climbing. When veterinarians declaw a cat, the entire digit growing the nail is to be removed. This may cause immense pain to the cat (even nerve damage which may maim the natural way the cat walks).
9. Cats are the sleepiest of all mammals. They sleep for around 16 hours each day. This means that a seven year old cat is only awake for just two years of its life! Also, they love to groom themselves. They spend almost one third of their life grooming themselves.
10. While humans have 206 bones and around 600 muscles, a cat has almost 290 bones in their bodies, and 517 muscles, despite their tiny size.
11. You must have noticed your cat walking proudly with its tail upright. The pet cats or the domestic cats are the only cats able to hold its tail vertically while walking. All wild cats hold their tails horizontally or tucked between their legs while walking.
12. At birth, kittens are not capable of sight or hearing. Cats open their eyes after a week or so and begin to develop their eyesight and hearing at approximately 2 weeks. Walking begins in 20 days.
13. Never try racing your cat. Your cat can run approximately at 48kmph. After all, it’s a cousin of the tiger. Average human can run around 24-28kmph.
14. Ever cuddle and rub your cat’s nose? Notice the pattern on your cat’s nose? The nose pad of a cat is ridged and has a pattern that is unique, much like the fingerprints of a human.
15. Do you know how much your cat loves you? Well, find it out. If you are around your cat and you never notice the tail quivering, then this is the greatest love expression your cat can shower you with. On the contrary, if your cat’s tail starts thrashing, better for you to distance yourself from it for a little while.
16. Never ever pick a kitten or a cat up by the scruff of its neck. You are risking your cat’s life doing this. Only mother cats can do this safely, and only with their kittens.
17. Your cat is actually emphatic. If your cat loves you, it can gauge your moods. If you’re sad, then there may be a difference in your cat’s behavior too.
18. Ever seen your cat meow at another cat? Well think again. A cat will almost never meow at another cat. This sound is just for humans.
19. Think your cat is weird? Well, the weirdest cat was a female cat names Mincho who climbed a tree in Argentina and refused to come down again until her death six years later. While in “air”, she had three litters.
20. Cats don’t like orange or lemon smell. You can use it to make certain areas cat-free.
There. So, did you really know all about your cat? Chances are you didn’t. Try getting to know your cat more. Cats are wonderful and loveable pets. And cat lovers are called ailurophiles.